Throughout this trip, I have been reading this book: "Worldliness" Edited by CJ Mahaney, Forward by John Piper. I have found it so useful as I prepare my heart for what life in Singapore holds.
- 'Worldliness is a love for the fallen world. It is to gratify and exalt oneself to the exclusion of God.' I realise that my heart had started to covet the things of this world and buy into the false promises of this world. Therefore I struggled to trust that the God who has always provided for us will provide for us now. The authors of the book powerfully exposed the sin in my heart.
- 'Worldliness does not consist in outward behaviour, though that can be an evidence of it. But the real location of worldliness is internal-in our hearts.'
- 'Do you want the world to lose its appeal? Then crowd out worldliness by filling your affections with the cross of Christ. Crucify the world as a dead and undesirable thing by meditating on the love of the saviour and his work on the cross.'
- At the same time, I was reminded that whilst we are forbidden to love the rebelious, God-rejecting world, and its cravings and values, we ARE to enjoy the world that God has created. God has created this earth that we live in. God has placed us in a world made by Him and we are to image Him in our stewardship of our gifts,work, home, life and in everything we do!
1 comment:
I am re-reading this book- after I went shopping :)
Post a Comment